Monday, June 7, 2010

Repeat After Me...

When I ride my skateboard (Currently a Slave 8.0, On Indys, with spitfire Koston F1 streetburners, btw), which just happens to be quite frequently, i think. Alot.

I Think about just about everything, Including the Philisophical "road" ahead of me.
But not really the physicall road. Unless i have a specific destination, i tend to roam around streamwood/schaumburg looking for something that may or not be there. I think most clearly when I skate. It also serves as a stress reliever.

You could call it dangerous. I like it. I may stumble upon something new. A new spot maybe. I might find myself at the right place at the right time and witness something spectacular. Or maybe just the opposite. I might find myself in a tight spot. But i always find a way out. Youth Overcomes.

But I am an adult now. Does this mean I quit skateboarding, and focus on my job? Taxes? a resume? 401k?
Of course not.
I do have a job though. And it hemorages away my free time. I work around 40 hours a week based on my schedule. This leaves me only a couple hours a day to do what I want after my regular responsibilities (lightened, thank you Mom and Dad) have been taken care of. Anywhere between 4-2 hours of the time between shifts are mine to do as I please. I go skateboarding.

Those long hours help to pay for my Skateboarding "Lifestyle". The original financiers (my family) no longer have to pay for the replacement parts (decks trucks shoes bearings). The same hours also keep me from having to rely on secondhand parts. While their is absolutely nothing wrong with having second hand parts (i still have the same mixed bearings and bolts), it often leads to an uncertain future. Those hours take away alot of my free time, yet I stick to them, almost worship them for their dollar value.

Does that make me a SLAVE to money? To Capitalism?

To an extent, yes. But no more than the rest of the country.

Its what I buy with that money that makes me feel truely free. While I am trying to save for a car (Volkswagen Golf/Jetta?), there is healthy room in my "budget" for skateboarding. Skateboarding is my first Official Love (outside of family. I didnt think id have to say that, but you never know.) Skateboarding has and will always be there.

It is skateboarding that makes me free. I can go out and skate where ever i choose. If i so happen to be on private property, then its owner has the freedom to have me ejected by any means lawfull. But to just roam around on a piece of wood bolted to some trucks and wheels. Thats all i need to have as proof that once you see past all of the "Capitalism Is Evil, And So is America" bullshit, Freedom does exist.

Freedom is not just an Idea.

Freedom lives within each and every person, And is defined by the individual within the confines of the law, As well as protected by the Declaration of Independence And The Constitution of the United States Of America
(The First Ammendment.)

Men Have died for my freedom.

So skate I will. I will earn my wage as well, to continue to be able to skate.

And in the pursuit of happiness, I'll try not to hinder your's.

Skateboarding is Freedom. So,

Repeat After Me: I am Free.

I'd love to tell you more, but I have to get ready for work.
It Happens.

1 comment:

  1. The mother/father contingent remains proud of you and your "freedom".

    But always remember, "Freedom isn't Free".

    Liking your posts, kid. But spellcheck is your friend...;)

    ReplyDelete